Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dying to say something unanswerable





I've been feeling a little ridiculous taking pictures of food but here we go...

The recipe for these coconut cookies was on the back of a package of Let's Do Organic Coconut. I mixed 2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour with a cup of earth balance and one quarter cup of confectioner's sugar. You roll the dough into balls and bake at 350 degrees for...I don't remember how long. Maybe 10 minutes. When they're done you immediately roll them in confectioner's sugar. I binged on the dough as I was making these. They turned out alright, quite dense but not in a moist way. They're crunchy and coconutty; not too sweet. All I'm sayin is you'll definetely need a glass of soymilk with them. Or rice milk or whatever.

O! It's our song! (Craig Armstrong-Let's go out Tonight)


Anyway, today we made some outrageous tofu scramble (VwaV, obviously) and fried up some Lightlife Gimme Lean "sausage" and mmmm. I love when we have orange juice in the house.
After brunch (linner?) we went to Andrew's mom's to keep her new puppy company while she was at work. We ended up making brownies (I can't go a day without baking anymore). This is the first vegan recipe that has turned out right. I don't know what it is but others I've tried have been rubbery. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com and tweaked it a little:

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soymilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a 9x13 inch baking pan.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes

After eating brownies and watching an episode of Northern Exposure, we made Valentine's cards with Andrew's card making mama.

This is the inside of Andrew's (to me!)
And this is the cover of mine (to him)





No comments:

Post a Comment